Coming up with ideas for supper is one thing, but figuring out how to pack peanut/cashew-free migraine-less lunches is another. It seems that so many of the portable lunch foods that we would have packed are now not possible. We had already replaced peanut butter with almond butter on homemade bread due to the food allergies. With the onset of migraines, the almonds are out as is wheat. No more apples, bananas, or cheese sticks either! Kids don’t really want to pack salads even if I could come up with a salad dressing without red wine vinegar (more on this in a post to come).
Here is one packable lunch that we are currently doing. Hopefully, more possibilities will develop as we explore.
Notes: The Sunbutter Bar recipe was originally inspired from the Sunbutter website, but many changes have been made to accommodate our dietary needs. Links to the ingredients that we use are included, but please contact companies to confirm for yourself that they will meet your food allergy needs.
- Process oats in a food processor.
- In a bowl, stir together all ingredients except puffed rice.
- Add puffed rice and stir as gently as possible until evenly distributed.
- Line an 8″ x 8″ baking dish with parchment paper.
- Transfer the mix to the baking dish, spread evenly, and press into shape.
- Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before cutting into bars. We cut the used parchment paper into wrappers for the bars to prevent them from sticking together and to make lunch packing simpler.
- Refrigerate or freeze.