Since I have had to cut eggs, wheat, and dairy from my diet, my usual breakfast consists of a bowl of Hodgson Mill Bat Bran Hot Cereal and flax cooked with coconut milk and either blueberries, cranberries, or CranRaisins. Although I enjoy this typical breakfast, I look forward to pancakes topped with blueberries all week long. My daughter fixes me this recipe as a special treat on Saturdays. I’m glad to share it with you as a special treat as well!
- Since this recipe uses oat and rice flour instead of white (wheat) flour, it results in a batter that is a little denser than “typical” pancakes. However, it is lighter than the recipe I originally attempted with coconut flour! I mill my own oat and rice flour since I have been unable to find products that are not cross-contaminated with peanuts or tree nuts.
- Although I may try to reintroduce eggs to my diet at some point, I have found that this recipe is successful using either a flax “egg” or Ener-G Egg Replacer. I usually use a flax egg for the added nutrition.
1/2 cup oat flour
4 Tbsp. rice flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/8 tsp. baking soda
1 “egg” (see note below)
1/2 cup coconut milk
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 Tbsp. coconut oil, melted
1/2 cup blueberries
- Combine the dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Add the wet ingredients and blend well.
- Heat a lightly greased skillet on the stove. Place a very small spoonful of batter in the center of the skillet to test the heat.
- Place a large spoonful of batter onto the skillet and fry until it appears slightly dry on top. Note that these pancakes tend to take longer to cook than pancakes made with wheat flour. You may or may not see bubbles form as you would with wheat pancake batter.
- Flip the pancake over and cook on the other side.
- Warm the blueberries in the microwave just until they are warm and have started to produce “syrup” (juice). Pour the blueberries over the pancakes.
Note: Two possibilities for the “egg” are to use Ener-G Egg Replacer or a flax egg (2 Tbsp. milled flax seed and 3 Tbsp. water stirred together and allowed to sit for 5 minutes).