It’s that time of year when zucchini is plentiful, and I have several recipes to share which will use it all. This first one is a twist on a traditional recipe. The twist is that quinoa is included to add a protein boost. This recipe is best with fresh zucchini, but the others are great with fresh or frozen zucchini. I will explain how I freeze it with the next zucchini post.
The original inspiration for these patties included several migraine triggers which I have removed/replaced. We like these patties best when served as a side dish.
UPDATE: When I posted this on Friday, I included the wrong amounts for the quinoa and water. It is now correct. I hope this didn’t create a problem for anyone trying the recipe!
1/4c. quinoa, rinsed
1/2 c. water
1 1/2 c. grated zucchini
1/4 c. rice flour
1/4 t. baking powder
1/4 t. salt
1 t. oregano
1/8 t. garlic powder
2 to 4 Tbsp. coconut oil
- Cook quinoa in the water.
- Squeeze the zucchini to remove excess water.
- Stir all ingredients (except for the coconut oil) together in a bowl.
- Mold a spoonful of mix into a ball and flatten into a patty.
- Fry in a skillet with heated coconut oil until each side is browned. I use 1 to 2 Tbsp. oil at a time and add as necessary.
- Serve warm.