Although Pumpkin Granola is the one we go through the fastest, here is another great one that doesn’t have migraine triggers. We used to add Cranraisins to this recipe, but discovered that these are major migraine triggers for us; the granola is a great snack without them though.
3 cups old-fashioned oats
1/2 cup quinoa, uncooked
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. sea salt
1/4 cup coconut oil
1/2 cup maple syrup
2 tsp. vanilla
- Optional step: The quinoa can be rinsed and toasted in a skillet to give it a “nuttier” flavor. However, this is time consuming and not necessary in my opinion.
- Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Add remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Place granola on a parchment-lined cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees in 10 minute increments until dry (approximately 30 minutes depending on your oven). After each 10 minute increment, stir the granola to keep the edges from burning. Once the granola is almost dry, turn the oven off, prop the door slightly open, and allow the warmth to complete the drying process.
- Although we have never added hemp hearts to this recipe, we are experimenting with them and plan to try this at some point.